Wednesday, July 7, 2010

My crazy pink and blue throw

I have two projects running at the moment. and this was the first.  I recently had a little girl and I knew I'd need something to occupy my brain while breastfeeding and this is what I managed to come up with.

I had done granny squares in my last project and wanted to something a little different, but I also needed something easy to do, so I took a stitch from my Harmony Guides: Basic crochet Stitches and turned it into a square.  I knocked up a couple and it seemed to work well.

For colours I had some Moda Vera Fauna Eclipse (the blue one in the piccy to the left) and some grey Moda Vera Amanda, but I knew I'd need some other colours to go with it.  We had a girl's day out at a Spotlight store while there was a sale on and I came across the Patons Fireworks (the fuzzy pink and black swatch) and Patons Foxy in red and white.  I'm not normally a pink person, but I really liked this one and ended up running around the shop looking for colours to match it.  I hadn't intended to include either of them in this project, thinking I would use them for something else, but the inclusion of the blue/grey/pink yarn Moda Vera delight (top left swatch) drew everything together and I suddenly had a rug of pinks, greys and blue.  I think they work well together.

I eventually finalised the design with 48 squares outlined in black and now that I can't really feed and do my sturt desert pea design, I have returned to this one...one square at a time.

The furry yarns, the Fireworks and some grey Moda Vera Jazz are proving a challenge and not a little frustrating.  I've had to dump the design for the swatch from the Fireworks and just do straight stitching because it is impossible to see the stitches.  Not that it will be noticable. I'm about a third of the way through the squares at the moment and still enjoying it.

2 comments:

  1. Ooooh! Yarn envy: what a lovely stack of skeins. Isn't there just something exciting about a brand-new skein of wool? I like putting them side by side with other colours, just to see how they look ... (oops, better put that crazy away again).

    I have to say that I like the muted greys with the pinks, it's a combination you see often in nature in rocky places, lots of shades of grey rock and stone with pink wildflowers. I think it's a great match.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Ginger :D

    Is that considered crazy? ::grin:: I stand in yarn shops matching up colours and designing, sometimes for hours trying to get the exact colour match I want. I love staring at a stack of yarn in colours that work well together. But then I'm addicted to colour in general.

    ::stands up in group:: Hi, everyone, my name is Nutty and I'm a colourholic.

    This combo of colours just happened. I had the blue and grey, but felt they needed something to brighten them up and give them some more energy. They were too muted on their own. I went to the yarn shop specifically looking for that zing. I did find something that kinda worked, but wasn't one hundred percent happy with it, but while I was there, I fell in love with several other balls of yarn (pink...I do not do pink...er...hmmm, maybe I do now) and matched them up into a group that would work well for a separate project. When I got home I realised that the blue/grey/pink mix yarn I had chosen to match the blue and grey, bridged the colours between the pinks and the blues and greys and bang, a zany multitextured attempt at a throw rug was born.

    Thanks so much for visiting and commenting. You made my day (and sorry for the delay in replying, this week had been extremely childcentric).

    Nutty
    (grabbing a moment to seriously blog)

    ReplyDelete